Thursday, August 07, 2008

"One World, One Dream"

I have been enamored with the Olympic Games ever since my dad bought our first apple computer back in 1985 and with that, the Olympics game. I wish I could remember the name of it, but I do remember clicking the up and left arrow keys over and over in order to attempt to beat my brothers' times at the 400 meter race. The graphics weren't the best; in fact, as I recall the "runners" looked a bit like this (<). Looks like a person to me! :)

The first Olympic Games I remember watching was in 1988 hosted by Seoul, Korea. I can remember watching the opening ceremony and getting goosebumps as I watched the American flag followed by the 600 athletes representing our great country! During those two weeks of the Olympics I would watch as much of the Olympics that was aired (yes, even wrestling and weightlifting--and I hate those sports). I would go to bed at night pretending that I was a world class gymnast about to compete in the All Around competition, or I was a swimmer participating in one of the relays (not to brag, or anything, but I always won gold--I was a pretty big deal)!

I have grown up a lot since then, but to be honest, I still sometimes like to daydream I'm about to compete for the gold! I can already feel the anticipation creeping back. So many questions will be answered in just two weeks. Will Shawn Johnson make history and win U.S. gold for the Gymnastics All Around? Will Michael Phelps win every event he enters? What about Dara Torres, will she win another gold--as a 41 year old she will be swimming yet again (I think that means, I still have hope)? You can be sure I will be watching these current Olympic Games, feeling like a 13 year old again, daydreaming I'm about to kick the ball in the goal to break the tie for the gold medal game--or whichever sport tickles my fancy at that moment.

Here's to being a kid again! Drink up everybody--it's Kool-Aid time!

1 comment:

Jodi said...

I can't believe I'm the first to comment on this! I loved this post, Marci. I'm with you 100% -- the Olympics are such fun to watch and dream about. I tear up everytime our national anthem is played! And, there's just something soooo inspiring about watching real people enjoy a sport, just for the sake of enjoyment, rather than money.

Here's to many hours of incredible television watching in the next two weeks!